Monday, January 27, 2014

Sweet Treat

If you have someone in your house who has a sweet tooth then you might try these wonderful cookies.  My grandmother Uhlenbecker gave the recipe to me when I was little.  It came out 12 years before I was born.  I have made these and they are fantastic.  I made a few changes to the recipe myself because of my sons allergies.  But I have put some hints at the end of the recipe of what to use.  I will mention that the vanilla wafers must have been larger in 1939 than they are today because when I did the recipe just as was given to me it made more than 18 cookies.  I got more like about 55-60.


Stuffed Vanilla Wafers
2 Tbs.  Butter
2 Tbs. Flour
1/8 Tsp. salt
1/2 cup Pet Milk
1 1/2 cup shredded coconut*
18 Vanilla Wafers
Melted Semi sweet or sweet Chocolate (optional)
Melt the butter over boiling water.  Mix in the flour and salt.  Stir in 1 ½ cup pet milk slowly.  Cook until thick and smooth stirring constantly.   Add 16 marshmallows stirring while cooking until all the marshmallows are melted.   Remove from heat and fold in the coconut.  Cool Thoroughly.   Spread on flat side of 18 vanilla wafers.  Cover with 18 vanilla wafers putting the flat side nest to filling.
Filling will be thin when the marshmallows are melted but the when the coconut is added it will be just right for spreading.
If you want you can melt some semisweet or sweet chocolate and when the filled vanilla wafers are done take and place them on cookie cooling racks that you put on a cookie sheet.  Pour the melted chocolate over them.  Turn over the stuffed vanilla wafers and reheat the chocolate that is on the cookie sheet and pour over the bottom of the stuffed vanilla wafers.
*I do not use coconut because my oldest son is allergic to coconut.    You can use ground nuts if you want. 
*I got this recipe from my grandmother Uhlenbecker.  She got it from a 1939 Radio show by Mary Lee Taylor for the Pet milk company.  Grandma is the one who added the chocolate she had a bit of a sweet tooth.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment